A passion that was ignited from the restoration of a 1920 Pierce Arrow, a birthday gift from wife Genevieve, Donald S. Gilmore continued to buy and restore classic automobiles in the years that followed.
Gilmore latter acquired 90 acres of farmland in southwest Michigan to accommodate his growing collection. Gilmore also purchased several historic barns, had them dismantled and moved to the site. From Genevieve’s idea of turning the collection into a museum that would allow others to enjoy this one of kind collection, the Gilmore’s established a non-profit foundation and opened the museum to the public on Sunday, July 31, 1966.
Today, the Gilmore Car Museum includes numerous historic buildings, vintage dealerships, a fully-functioning 1941 City Diner, a recreated 1930s Shell Gas Station, and so much more.